The SNG Forum

This is a place for television and satellite professionals to exchange ideas, information and the occasional war story from the field.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Posting Pictures
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

It appears Photobucket screwed us by disabling the ability to hot link to web forums (like this one) and other web platforms. Photobuck will still permit it for 39.99 a month. But that kind of sucks.

So after doing a little bit if research I found it is possible to hotlink photos from a Google Drive. There are two ways to post a Google Drive image.

You can add it using the brand new googleimg button I just created. (Instructions below: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7328#p66513)

Or you can hard code it like the example that follows for the picture linked in this post:
Code:
How to hard code a linkable image from Google Drive.

1. Upload the image to your Google Drive.

2. Make the image shareable by right clicking it and selecting "Get sharable Link." In my case I built a folder called public and made it open to anyone with a link. (I made sure to set the folder to read-only as well)

3. Copy the link Google gives you.
The link to the picture below is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJscDFYP36ITG80Um5iSFhBSlE

4. Copy everything after the "id=" in the link.
For the picture below, that is: 0BzJscDFYP36ITG80Um5iSFhBSlE 

5. Paste that ID number onto the end of this URL: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=
The picture below comes out to:
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0BzJscDFYP36ITG80Um5iSFhBSlE

6. Click the [Img] button above the text box you enter your posts in. You will get this in your text: [img][/img]

7. Paste the link between the two tags like this: [img]https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0BzJscDFYP36ITG80Um5iSFhBSlE[/img]

8. Enter the rest of your post and you get something like the picture below.

Please keep in mind that the forum software does not scale images. If you post a really big picture it will be difficult to look at as it bleeds of the edges of the page. 900px wide by 800px tall or smaller seems to fit everyone's screens.

Let me know if you encounter any problems using this method.

Job description: Operate, drive and maintain the truck, keeper of The Book of Lies, safety and security consultant, meteorologist, travel agent, diesel fuel commodities trader, snack fetcher, bouncer and other duties as needed or assigned.

Post subject: Re: Posting Pictures
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:53 pm 
Poster God!

Can you pin this?

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Pinned.

Job description: Operate, drive and maintain the truck, keeper of The Book of Lies, safety and security consultant, meteorologist, travel agent, diesel fuel commodities trader, snack fetcher, bouncer and other duties as needed or assigned.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:03 am 
Poster God!

A-yup......fotobucket put the kabosh on my account sometime early summer.

....so I switched to IMGUR for free 3rd party image hosting.....careful though, you could get sucked in to vacuous image gazing on all the other posts.....such as this one

https://imgur.com/gallery/NqSOm

or this one

https://imgur.com/gallery/hchKw77

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, posting images from Google Drive part two.

I created a new button that appears on the posting page called googleimg. This does a lot of the work in changing hosting addresses and cut and paste for you. Here's how it works.

Code:
1. Put the cursor where you want your picture.

2. Click that google image button and you get this: [googleimg][/googleimg]

3. Go to the Google Drive picture you want to use. Right click it. Click Get Shareable Link. Once you get there make sure that it says,
"anyone with link can view." (We don't want to give anyone else edit or delete capabilities.)  Copy that link.

4. Paste that link in between the tags like this link to the picture below:
[googleimg]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B092PMHg6vNsNGc0bkhkbUhlS00[/googleimg]

5. Delete everything from to the left of and including the equal sign. For the picture below, it should look like this:
[googleimg]0B092PMHg6vNsNGc0bkhkbUhlS00[/googleimg]

6. Behold! It is done! Your picture will appear in either preview or submit and look something like the one below.

I'd like to remind people that the forum software does not scale images. If you post a really big picture without resizing it to something under 900px wide by 800px tall, that picture is going to bleed off the edges of the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:52 pm 
Jr. Poster

Just my 2 cents but the Google link is much better as the images now seem to appear inline with the post. With the old method, I always hated clicking on the Photobucket/Imgur links because that opened up a whole new browser page out of SNGForum, that I then had to click the "back" button to get back to the forum page after viewing it. If there were multiple photos, there was then a "back" click for each image in order to get back into the forum.... :badmood:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:58 am 
Site Admin

We aims to please...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:32 am 
Poster God!

SquarePixel wrote:
Just my 2 cents but the Google link is much better as the images now seem to appear inline with the post. With the old method, I always hated clicking on the Photobucket/Imgur links because that opened up a whole new browser page out of SNGForum, that I then had to click the "back" button to get back to the forum page after viewing it. If there were multiple photos, there was then a "back" click for each image in order to get back into the forum.... :badmood:

AGREED SquarePixel......but with a little "URL MAGICK".....you can hot link off IMGUR.

Leland.....love your dogs pullin' the rig !!